Pages

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Books

Since I've graduated I've started a bunch of books about teaching. Unfortunately I haven't finished very many. I wanted to share some of the books I'm trying to work through before school starts. Not sure that will happen but I'm trying really hard. 

This book is really old but is still very relevant. Great for me as a new teacher! It is all about procedures, procedures, procedures!!!



This book is all about classroom management and putting the student's behavior, choices, and discipline back on the child. Making the student responsible. I like this book because it ties so well with Great Expectations (a model for teaching, my district is the first Model District in the nation).



I just got this book in the mail a couple of days ago. I really want to change the way I teach Algebra 2 this year. More on this to come, but this book is where the idea came from. Another teacher read it and told me about it. It hit home to me that this is how algebra 2 should be taught so I ordered the book to learn more. I'm very excited about the prospects.




If you keep up with NCTM, OCTM, or anything else in math then you've probably heard about this book. NCTM, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, has just a few landmark publications and this is one of them. OCTM, Oklahoma Council of Teachers of Mathematics, has adopted this book and the 8 principles. I have been hearing about this book all summer during my professional development. I ordered it a few days ago but it hasn't come in yet. Once I read it, or at least start reading it, I'll let you know more about!

If you have more suggestions please let me know. I am all about expanding my brain, especially if its about math or teaching... or even better BOTH!


No comments:

Post a Comment