Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Quadratic Project

We just wrapped up our quadratic functions chapter. I love teaching quadratics! Everything about it! Factoring, completing the square, the quadratic formula, complex numbers, simplifying radicals... It's all really the first new thing I teach my students, and it's just so much fun to watch their brains go! After we completed our test of the material we did a couple of projects to actually apply all of the information. My favorite project is the angry birds project. There are several versions of this online. This is the one I used this time. 

http://teachers.stjohns.k12.fl.us/brailsford-d/wp-content/blogs.dir/320/files/2014/03/angry-birds.pdf 

 At first my students hated thinking through the questions. They worked in small groups. The did not like that I wouldn't help them. They really want me to hold their hand through every step of the problem. Using their brains really made them not like me for a moment but by the time they were done with the project I really felt like they understood quadratics at a much better and deeper level. Here are two of the posters my students made for their project. 



No comments:

Post a Comment